“respiteservices.com working together to facilitate respite options that empower individuals with differing abilities and their families to lead active and rewarding lives"
"Creating Community Connections"
Respiteservices.com connects agencies funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. We are collaborating to develop a more dynamic respite network for both children and adults in Toronto.
Participants include: delegates from the Ministry of Community and Social Services, the Toronto District School Board, Toronto Parks and Recreation, and the Children's Aid Societies. Other organizations providing respite services for families in Toronto are invited to join.
The guiding principles of respiteservices.com are:
- To develop a comprehensive respite system in Toronto.
- To develop and maintain a coherent access process for families of children requiring respite options.
- To become a comprehensive information source regarding respite for adults accessing developmental services.
- To facilitate respite options for individuals that match their identified needs.
- To work closely with service providers to advocate for appropriate service options to meet the needs identified.
Respite care provides a short planned break from the physical and emotional demands involved in caring for a family member who has a disability. Respite creates greater opportunities for all family members to live actively and participate in community activities and allows parents/guardians time for themselves.